How To Get an Alcohol Permit in Texas

How To Get an Alcohol Permit in Texas

Whether you run a bar, own a restaurant that serves beer and wine, or are hosting a one-night-only event that includes alcoholic beverages, the state of Texas requires people to have an alcohol permit. Selling alcohol without one could lead to fines, loss of business licenses, or worse. For this reason, it’s important to understand the different types of licenses and how to apply for them.

Types of Alcohol Permits in Texas

There is a wide range of options if you need a Texas alcohol permit. Broadly, they are divided by type of alcohol. The categories are even more detailed beyond that, though. People who need liquor licenses choose from a range of options, such as airline beverage permits, brewer’s permits, daily temporary private club permits, winery permits, and so on. Beer permits are much the same and range from manufacturer’s licenses to water park permits. The type you need will depend on whether you want to sell or distribute beer and wine or hard liquor, as well as whether your establishment is permanent or temporary.

Qualification Requirements

To qualify for an alcohol permit in Texas, you must be at least 21 years old and fulfill several other requirements. An applicant who wants an alcohol permit in the state cannot have had any felony convictions in the past five years. In addition, he or she must not have violated state liquor laws in the past two years, nor have any moral turpitude violations within six months of the application date.

On-premise alcohol permits also require the applicant to provide the city clerk’s verification that the business is in an alcohol zone. Those who only want to sell beer and wine also need to verify the alcohol content of the items sold. Applicants who want off-premise permits must have a list of approved areas and a verification from the city clerk as well as publish a public notice in the newspaper.  Depending on the situation, other laws may apply for temporary events. In some cases, someone providing free alcohol to adults may not need a permit.

Are you ready to ramp up business at your bar or restaurant in the state of Texas? Are you hosting a cash bar at your wedding? Maybe you want to give samples of your new brew to people at a local event. Regardless of your goal, having the right permit is essential for continuing to have a legal, thriving company. Ask professionals for help if you are unsure what requirements you need to meet.

Harold N. Hatcher

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *